Day 34 October 31, 2012
prayer for Wisdom for public Officials
Scripture for Reflection and Preparation
1 Thessalonians 5:15 “15 See to it that no one repays evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all.”
“8 He has told you men what is good and what it is the lord requires of you: Only to act justly, to love faithfulness, and to walk humbly with your god.
9 The voice of the lord calls out to the city (and it is wise to fear your name):
‘pay attention to the rod and the One who ordained it.’”
Isaiah 1:16-17 “16 ‘Wash yourselves. Cleanse yourselves. remove your evil deeds from My sight. Stop doing evil.
17 learn to do what is good. Seek justice. Correct the oppressor. Defend the rights of the fatherless. plead the widow’s cause.’”
Work Together for Common Good
Cooperation among leaders is a crucial key to national health.
• Praise God for who He is
• Confess your sinfulness and need for cleansing
• Allow His Spirit to draw you near
• Listen as He speaks to you
Ask God to...
• Cause public officials to use their offices for the public good not personal gain
• Help public officials understand the consequences of policies they pursue, especially if they fail to protect all human life
• Help public officials find ways to work with people of different opinions to accomplish God-honoring goals, like in poverty reduction, immigration reform, and education reform
• Help expose public officials who are breaking laws
• Give public officials wisdom to know what is in the nation’s best interest, especially the importance of protecting God’s design for marriage
• Burden churches to help public officials work toward good goals
• Remind public officials that they are accountable to God, and that they should protect the church from unbiblical government interference
• Thank God for hearing you
• Trust that God is at work to accomplish His will
Copied from: "Pray and ACT 40/40", The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission