Sunday, October 28, 2012
Scripture for Reflection and Preparation
1 Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except from god, and those that exist are instituted by god. 2 So then, the one who resists the authority is opposing god’s command, and those who oppose it will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad.
Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do good and you will have
its approval. 4 For government is god’s servant to you for good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, because it does not carry the sword for no reason. For government is god’s servant, an
avenger that brings wrath on the one who does wrong. 5 Therefore, you must submit, not only because of wrath, but also because of your conscience. 6 and for this reason you pay taxes, since the [authorities] are god’s public servants, continually attending to these tasks.
7 pay your obligations to everyone: taxes to those you owe taxes, tolls to those you owe tolls, respect to those you owe respect, and honor to those you owe honor.
Religious Liberty for All
The freedom to worship God according to the dictates of one’s conscience is an indispensable value of true liberty.
• Praise God for who He is
• Confess your sinfulness and need for cleansing
• Allow His Spirit to draw you near
• Listen as He speaks to you
Ask God to…
• Cause our nation’s leaders to protect the God given right of religious liberty for all
• Help our nation resist all efforts to prevent people of faith from expressing their deeply held religious convictions freely and publicly
• Raise up leaders to resist any effort to force people of faith to violate their consciences in order to satisfy unbiblical social mandates
• Help our nation pass laws that are just from God’s perspective
• Give the church courage to resist any effort to force it to obey manmade laws rather than God
• Convict our nation’s leaders to work for religious liberty around the world especially in totalitarian nations
• Help you find ways to protect religious liberty in the United States and around the world
• Thank God for hearing you
• Trust that God is at work to accomplish His will
COPIED FROM Pray and ACT 40/40, The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission