Thursday, September 10, 2009

Worship with Life

Worship...we think of it as a specific task, usually done in church (mostly through music and songs)...but is that all it is? I think we miss it--I think Worship is much broader and more meaningful than that.

What is "worship"? It's the thing I'm focused on...the motivation that's in my heart...the purpose that drives me. I can 'worship' lots of things...I can worship money, success, a dream, a look, popularity, good grades...I can worship anything!

As a pastor...somebody who gets up in front of a lot of people each week to talk and (I hope) help them move closer to the Lord, I know that I can 'worship' public opinion! If someone likes what I said, it 'validates' me; if someone dislikes it, it 'invalidates' me.

That's why we get into trouble when we "worship" the wrong thing.

There is only ONE who is really WORTHY of worship...and that is the truine God of the Bible. He is the one who is perfect, and truly deserves our "worship"--our attention, our love, our service, our adoration.

Can we do that with songs? Sure! But it can be so much more!

We can "worship" God with our lives!

HOW we live, WHAT we do, our ATTITUDE with which we do it. All of these can convey worship to God.

There are times it's tough to worship God. Times when our circumstances change for the worse, our dreams go unfulfilled, our desires--for ourselves and others--don't pan out. It can be tough to move beyond those feelings...but that's when real WORSHIP can happen!

When we can stand up, look up to our Lord, raise our hands, and let those things go...when we can say "Lord, here it is...it's my desire..take it and do with it whatever you will...I trust you!" then go on from there, living in love and obedience to Him...THAT's real worship.

...and that's what He deserves!

Romans 12:1 "Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him."

No comments:

Post a Comment