Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Count Your Days, and Make Your Days Count!

Some of you may know...I turn 50 today!

The big 5-0!
Five DECADES!
Cinco Decados!

Whoa!

Hard to believe I've been around 'that long'! 50 used to seem so old!

When I think back about some of the memories, from childhood growing up in a HUGE family to the teen years of my rebellion and searching, to finding real faith which turned my life around, I appreciate my early years. When I add to that the pleasure of finding and marrying my wife, growing in my faith, being blessed with 6 amazing kids, and pastoring Kalamazoo Community Church, I am humbled and blessed.

Have there been challenges? Yes!
Have there been hard times? Of course!

But through it all, I've come to understand that God was with me, even when I was trying to run from Him. I've learned that He uses ALL of it--the good and the bad--for my good and His glory.

If, that is, I'm willing to turn it all over to Him.

On a day like today, I get reflective.

What have I done with my life so far...
Have I made a difference in this world?
Am I doing everything I can to love and follow Him?
Am I showing real love to my wife and kids?
Do I prioritize relationships above 'stuff', and let people know that I care?
Do I consistently point people to Jesus?

Yet, on days like this, I also realize how blessed I am, and I'm truly humbled and thankful.

I fully intend to live the rest of my life--however long--Honoring God, Loving my wife and kids, serving others and spreading the Good News about Jesus to everyone I can.

I want my life to matter...and these are the things that give it meaning.

Moses wrote, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

Teach me, Lord, to realize that I don't have an infinite number of days...
and that the time to 'live' is NOW!
Teach me to define 'living' not based on this world's values, but on the Word of God!
Teach me to value You, God...then my family, then others...and to live that way!

Teach me wisdom, Lord.

Happy Birthday to me...all glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment