Friday, October 8, 2010

Passion!

What are YOU passionate about?

For some, it's sports teams--all you have to do is ask "Michigan or Michigan State?" this week to find that out!

For others, it's shoes...or purses...or our kids...or gardening...or metal music...or whatever.

What's YOUR passion?

On the one hand, it's good that we have passion about SOMETHING! Life tends to rob us of that these days. We are so consumed with bills, our job, and our appointments that 'passion' can seem like a luxury.

I think it might just be possible to go through life so BUSY in many things that we have PASSION for nothing!

But think deeper: SOMETHING gets your attention! Something lights your fire! There is probably at least one thing that is easy to get passionate about--what is yours?

One thing I've been asking God to do lately in my life is to give me more "Passion" for His name...and I'd like to suggest that we ALL should do the same!

Think about it: The God of the Universe wants to be known by you! He wants to be intimately connected to your life (and mine, of course)!

Yet, we sometimes yawn and say "I'll get to it after my show"...or after the game, or whatever.

Huh?

Jesus said, "The first in importance is, 'Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one; so love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.' (Mark 12:29, the Message)

It comes to this: I realize that there are some things that I have "passion" for, but that those things are temporary, at best. God, on the other hand, is eternal.

I want a Passion for HIM! I want my life to scream out "He deserves the glory!" I want my heart to passionately seek Him!

"My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek." (Psalm 27:8)


So, this is part of what's consuming me lately...
What about you?

Where are your passions?
Where does the Lord fit on your 'list of passions'?

I cannot imagine that God is content with being somewhere behind the Detroit Lions and gardening on my list! He wants--and He deserves--to be first!

...but this isn't just about 'what is right' or 'what is obedient' either...I WANT to have a passion for Him! I deeply desire to have my life revolve around an intimate connection with Him.

I want my life to be a prayer like this:

Lord, I love you, and I am amazed at your goodness to me. You are gracious and merciful, and your patience with me is incredible!

Yet, I want to know you more! I want to be closer to you! Show me, Lord, the things in my life that crowd you out! Show me the things that come between us. Help me to have the courage to get rid of those things--all the while reflecting your character and wisdom.

I love you, Lord! Fan the flame of passion in my heart for you! Holy Spirit, renew my love, revive my heart, and refocus my life.

I deeply desire to be 'all about you'!

Is that your prayer today?

Let's make it ours, together!

For His Glory,

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment