Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Lord, I believe...help me in my unbelief"

It's one of my favorite interactions recorded in the Gospels...'cuz I can relate!

It's recorded in Mark, Ch. 9, just after Jesus and a few disciples had come down from the 'Mount of Transfiguration' experience to find a man with a teen boy who was possessed by an evil spirit. The rest of Jesus' disciples had not been able to help him.This evil spirit had caused the boy to injure himself, often throwing himself into fires; it had caused him to lose his speech, etc.--and had been doing so since childhood.

The man brought the boy to Jesus and said "But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes." (vv. 22-23)

"IF You can?" I think the boy's father had almost given up hope...even when he'd brought the boy to Jesus' disciples, they'd been unable to help (and he'd probably sought other kinds of help too)...but he hadn't yet encountered the power of the Son of God!

It's almost as if Jesus wanted him to say "No one else can do it, but I KNOW you can!'

The boy's father's faith was too fragile...all he could say was "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24)


Jesus could have given him a lecture about how important real faith is...He could have held him up as an example of the faith-LESS...but He didn't. He knew the man's heart. He knew that there was real faith there...but He also knew that his faith was faltering.

Jesus decided to restore the man's full confidence, and to heal the boy. He didn't wait fot the father to have "Perfect" faith...He worked with what he had, encouraging more.

We are like that man's father. I am, anyway!

He has worked in SO MANY ways in my life, I should have 'zero' reasons not be believe when He calls me to something.

Yet, fears creep in...insecurity is there...a lack of confidence lingers.

Jesus, gracious as He is, works anyway--in spite of my imperfect faith. He encourages me, nurtures me, and motivates me to step out in faith--sometimes in little ways, sometimes in big ones.

Whether it's with KCC, it's plans and it's budget, or my home and family, or some other 'faith adventure', God calls me to have increasing faith. Fortunately for all, He does not DEMAND MY PERFECTION before He can work, however.

Has God been calling YOU to make a stand in faith lately? Is He moving you to step out? You may have some fear and some hesitation, but if it's truly Him who is calling you (and make sure you pray and meditate on His word, asking the Spirit to reveal God's will to you) then make sure and DO IT!

Step out in faith and watch Him work!

Your faith doesn't have to be perfect...just willing!

That's the beauty of Jesus--that He works in, on, and through 'imperfect' people...like me!

For His glory,

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment