Thursday, July 7, 2011

Begging at My Father's Table

I LOVE being a dad!

Sure, I get tired at times, and at times I don't quite know how to 'get through' to various kids, but... I LOVE being a dad!

Start asking me what I love about each one of my kids, and I'll have no problem bragging on them...love each one!

With all that in mind, do you know how much it would actually HURT me if I thought that any of my kids didn't know that? It would rip my heart out if they thought that they had to BEG me for my love, or my blessing.

Bottom line: I love 'em so much that I WANT to bless them! They don't have to pry it out of me, or talk me into it. I ENJOY blessing my kids.

In fact, it sometimes pains me to say 'no'--because I know what's best for them, and, in that particular moment in that particular situation, it would not be best for them to have 'it' (whatever 'it' might be).

...but I DO NOT want them to ever feel like they have to beg me for needs like water, food, shelter, nor do I want them feeling like they need to beg me for blessings of any kind.

I am their father. I love them. I want to bless them.

It is amazing to me, though, how often I still treat my Heavenly Father as though I need to 'beg Him for blessings'. He is THE Perfect Father. He loves me (as He does each one of His children), and that means it is natural in His heart to want to bless me. (Not to spoil me...not to be my 'sugar daddy', and not to satiate my lusts and demands...but to bless me with good things.)

I find myself asking God--my perfect, loving Heavenly Father--for 'scraps from His table' when He wants to bless me with the seat right next to Him at the banquet!

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.
“You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not!
So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.



I guess the question I have to ask myself is, "Do I really BELIEVE that God loves me as His child, and that He wants to bless me?"

If I don't...why not?
Could it be that I've bought into a lie about God?
Could it be that I've been deceived?

I think so!

...and, as a dad, I think of how it must hurt My Father to know that I don't believe in His love--not really.

"So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children." (Romans 8:15-16)

Lord...Father in Heaven...Dad...teach us to really understand, and to KNOW that you are Good, you are Loving, and that you really do WANT to bless us.

Help us to stop the begging, and to have the confidence to come to you, our loving Father, as your true children.

You are my Father...you love me and I love you. Help me to rest in that love! I want to soak it up, enjoy it and learn to be confident in it!

I want to so 'delight' in Him that we become really 'close' again...like a daddy to his child.

May God help me to believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment