Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Red vs. Blue: Where do we go from here?

So, the Republicans won the House. The Democrats still run the Senate, and President Obama is still in the White House...so where do we go from here?

Note: I am NOT talking about political strategy!

Some of you know my political leanings--I am conservative and I often vote Republican...but, at least for today, I'm not thinking about votes, office, campaigns, etc.

I am reminded (actually, it's happened a lot lately) that I am a Christian 1st, an American 2nd. What I mean by that is that I need to keep my allegiances and attention in the 'right' order. In my opinion, it is MUCH more important how I follow Christ than it is how I follow a politician--no matter who it is!

A politician, at best, can bring about his plans. They may be important, but they pale in comparison to the Lord's plans!

"The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nothing;
He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect.
The counsel of the LORD stands forever,
The plans of His heart to all generations.
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD,
The people He has chosen as His own inheritance." (Psalm 33:10-12)

I want to be sure to keep clear in my own mind: The LORD is God--the LORD is sovereign! The LORD directs me, directs His Church, and directs the plans of this world!

I speak to myself as much as I do to anyone else: Don't let yourself get too caught up in the political tug-of-war that happens. While not unimportant, these things are NOT eternal! Only the Kingdom of God is!

"For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior." (Philippians 3:18-20)

I know you're an American, and part of taking that seriously is to be informed, be involved, and vote...just don't lose sight of the fact that, IF you are a Christian, you live on a much different level. Your primary identity is "Christian"!

Let us do everything we can to Live like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment