Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Crushed Ice, please!

We bought a new refrigerator this year.

Our old one was--quite literally--falling apart. The Duct-tape was no longer holding the shelves together, so we got one.

Know what's the best thing about it?

The Icemaker!

Why? Because we can get crushed ice!

For some reason, crushed ice makes every drink better. I have had more icewater since we've bought this fridge than ever before--the crushed ice somehow makes it refreshing.

I can't imagine going back!

"So what?" you say?

Well, I was thinking of how we think of our faith.

For many of us--who would say our faith is important to us--we actually live as if it's nothing all that great.

Sort of like regular water, maybe with a couple of cubes.

The very idea that there might be MORE--by God's design--not only doesn't occur to us, but, in truth, we don't really want it!

We kinda like it the way it is.

We can go to church, pray, and so on in a very 'controlled', and even 'safe' way. God is a part of my life, but not really anything more.

I don't know about you, but I think that a God who can be kept in a box, on a shelf, to be taken out whenever I need him or whenever it's convenient, is not a very special god.

...and it's NOT the God of the Bible!

Jesus said "I have come that they (that's us--His followers) might have LIFE and have it TO THE FULL!" (John 10:10, emphasis added).

I want that 'full' life!

Therefore, I want to insure that He is in His rightful place--driving and changing my life!

HE is my source; HE is my hope; HE is my guide.

He is...GOD OF MY LIFE!

In this posture, I see Him for who He really is...and myself as who I really am--humbled, needy, utterly dependent on Him.

Ironically, when I finally take, embrace, and live with that posture, He gives me all I need.

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble....therefore, humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up." (James 4:10)

It is in embracing that posture--of utter need and humble dependence on Him--that we finally are given that meaning, direction, peace...and LIFE!

THEN you--and I--can have "Life to the full".

...and THAT is refreshing...sort of like a glass of ice water--crushed ice, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment