Monday, April 26, 2010

Bloom where you are planted!--Daniel 2:46-49

My mother always had some wise sayings...one of them was when she told me (in response to my whining that I couldn't do something BIG with my life, or that my circumstances weren't 'fair'), that I should "Bloom where you are planted".

What did she mean? Simply that, no matter what my circumstances were, I should not use it as an excuse for failure or lack of effort. Instead, I should seek to give my all and do my best, whatever the circumstances.

I would like to say I've done that every day since, but the truth is that I haven't. There are too many times that I let my circumstances get me off-track, and discourage me. Sometimes, I have to admit, I'm kindof a 'lightweight' when it comes to things like this.

Daniel and his buds, on the other hand? Now, those were some dudes who knew how to 'bloom'!

In Daniel ch. 2, Daniel has just spoken God's words to Nebuchadnezzer, even though they meant that his reign would eventually come to an end. He spoke the truth, under hostile circumstances, in a foreign country, as a young man, and he gave credit to God in heaven--even though Nebuchadnezzer did not worship his God. He was bold! He was 'blooming where he had been planted'!

The outcome? As you see in Daniel 2:46-49, Daniel's God is praised, and Daniel--along with his buds--is promoted--WAY up the ladder of success and influence in Babylon!

46 Then King Nebuchadnezzar threw himself down before Daniel and worshiped him, and he commanded his people to offer sacrifices and burn sweet incense before him. 47 The king said to Daniel, “Truly, your God is the greatest of gods, the Lord over kings, a revealer of mysteries, for you have been able to reveal this secret.”
48 Then the king appointed Daniel to a high position and gave him many valuable gifts. He made Daniel ruler over the whole province of Babylon, as well as chief over all his wise men. 49 At Daniel’s request, the king appointed Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego to be in charge of all the affairs of the province of Babylon, while Daniel remained in the king’s court.(Daniel 2:46-49)


Daniel surely could've crawled into a spiritual or emotional 'hole' and shriveled up when he was forcibly moved to Babylon--away from family and everything he knew...but he didn't! He served with everything he had...he did his best, and he committed himself to God's care, knowing that God knew him and was with him WHEREVER HE WAS! Daniel, along with his 3 friends are promoted to positions of HUGE leadership and authority! God can do that!

The same is true for us--if, through faith in Christ, we are God's children and we faithfully serve and depend on Him. Wherever we're at, whatever our circumstances, you and I can also "Bloom where you are planted"!

No comments:

Post a Comment